What roles are there within a kitchen?
- Head chef – is in charge of the kitchen and is responsible for all aspects of food production, including menu planning, purchasing, costing, planning work schedules and hygiene.
- Sous chef – is the second in command is responsible for food production and day to day supervision of the staff.
- Pastry chef – makes all of the pastries and desserts for the kitchen
- Sauce chef – makes all of the sauces and stews in the kitchen
- Vegetable Chef (Enremetier) – prepares all of the vegetables
- Comis chef – a junior member of the kitchen staff who helps in all areas of the kitchen and is maybe training to become a head chef.
- Kitchen porter – Cleans up after the chefs, does the washing and carries goods to and from the store.
What skills and qualities are required to work in a kitchen?
- Time management is important to make sure food is prepared on time and in the correct order for service
- Organisation helps with timing to ensure the dish is served on time and also ensures that the correct amount of food is ordered
- Creativeness is important to help develop new recipes and impress the customer via the presentation of the food on the plate
- Preparation, like weighing and measuring, ensures a high quality dish is produced
- Cooking, including in-depth knowledge of various methods will enable a variety of dishes to be produced.
- Attention to detail means the food is prepared to a high standard
- Ability to stay calm under pressure will help to produce dishes to a high quality